Wednesday, September 23, 2020
09:00 am – 10.30 am
Eastern Time Virtual Conference
The Caspian region has become a hotspot for infrastructure investment over the last decade. With the region’s strategic location at the juncture of Europe and Asia, and its wealth of natural resources, the Caspian has become a critical area for projects promoting global connectivity as well as local development. With its rising status as a hub for infrastructure investment, the Caspian is a region where the Blue Dot Network is of increasing relevance. With a gap between the amount of investment available and the Caspian region’s anticipated funding needs to continue its development, the Blue Dot Network has the potential to raise the profile of projects that meet the Network’s standards.
The Caspian Policy Center and U.S. Agency for International Development, in collaboration with the Embassies of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, and Uzbekistan, will bring together policy experts from U.S. government agencies and private companies, as well as senior business representatives from the countries of the Caspian region. A high-level U.S. delegation, headed by Dr. Kaush Arha, U.S. G7 Sherpa for the Blue Dot Network and including representatives from the U.S. Development Financial Corporation and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, will lead the discussion on infrastructure development within the Blue Dot Network.
With a focus on private sector engagement, the event will explore the vital role the business community plays in strengthening regional integration through infrastructure and commerce. Using a roundtable format, the event will encourage dialogue and discussion between the agencies overseeing U.S. participation in the Blue Dot Network, government ministries in the Caspian region, and private enterprises.
- 09:00 – 09:05 Welcome remarks – Efgan Nifti, Executive Director, Caspian Policy Center
- 09:05 – 9:10 Keynote remarks – Paul Berkowitz, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Asia, USAID
- 9:10 – 9:25 Presentation – Dr. Kaush Arha, U.S. G7 Sherpa for Blue Dot Network, USAID
- 9:25-10:25 Round Table discussion
● Dr. Kaush Arha, U.S. G7 Sherpa for Blue Dot Network, USAID
- Caleb McCarry, Counselor to the Chief Executive Officer, U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (invited)
- Steven Dowd, U.S. Executive Director of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Bela Ferenczi, CEO for GE, Azerbaijan and Central Asia; Kairat Kelimbetov, Governor of the Astana International Financial Center (invited) ; Taleh Ziyadov, General Director of Baku International Trade Sea Port; Giorgi Pertaia, President of Georgian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Senior business representatives including those from the Poti Free Industrial Zone, AE Solar AIONRISE, Azerbaijan Caspian Shipping Company, Tefken Construction and Installation, and Nasqol Holdings
- 10:25 – 10:30 Closing remarks
Watch the Full Event Recording